FLIGHT SEARCH CAPABILITIES IN AIRLINE APPS 3Q19
Low-Cost Carriers vs. Full Service Carriers

At a time when airlines are trying to streamline their sales channels and bring customers on to their own platforms as much as possible, the search tool on airlines’ Android apps has not been exploited enough yet. videc’s App in the Sky examines this by breaking down each leg of the journey to find out what kind of user experience airline apps – 22 low-cost carriers (LCCs) and 48 full-service carriers (FSCs) – offer. Apps that don’t support native flight search naturally lose out on offering a seamless shopping and booking experience. This leakage is visible across prominent airline brands.

ONE-WAY FLIGHT SEARCH

Full marks to LCCs for this one. At 100%, they fulfilled the basic criterion for an one-way flight search option in 3Q19. In contrast, 98% for traditional airline apps featured an one-way flight search. The remaining 2% redirected users to their websites, which hampers the native app shopping experience.

Low-Cost Carriers

Full Service Carriers

Base: 70 airlines | View Methodology

RETURN JOURNEY FLIGHT SEARCH

Even today, native flight search is not supported by all airline Android apps. Search for return journeys across app stood at 95% for LCCs and 98% for FSCs in 3Q19, indicating room for improvement in closing the loop with one-way searches.

Low-Cost Carriers

Click to Know More

Full Service Carriers

Click to Know More

Base: 70 airlines | View Methodology

SAME DAY FLIGHT SEARCH

To ensure their flights are operating at maximum capacity, 82% of the LCC apps and 73% for the FSCs apps offered same-day booking functionality in 3Q19.

Low-Cost Carriers

Click to Know More

Full Service Carriers

Click to Know More

Base: 70 airlines | View Methodology

MULTI-CITY FLIGHT SEARCH

At 23%, LCCs are not doing much to offer their users the option to search for and therefore book multi-city routes via their apps. This stood at 44% for the FSCs though. This could be because the traditional carriers are also flying international routes and therefore feel the need to incorporate the multi-city search option for their users.

Low-Cost Carriers

Click to Know More

Full Service Carriers

Click to Know More

Base: 70 airlines | View Methodology


INFOGRAPHICS

Talk to Us

[contact-form-7 id="7" title="Talk to Us"]